Be ware........A Silent Killer
I am again with my new bog.....
I think everyone is familiar with the word mercury. Its a common note by each and every person when they are ill.Didn't get it???? I mean the use of mercury in thermometer....
This silvery and shiny mercury has got its own importance in medical field due to its wide usage in various medical equipments like thermometer, sphygmomanometer(blood pressure device),gastro intestinal tubes and amalgam used in dental fillings.All these equipments are made of glass mostly and so there is a major or high probability of breakage as they are fragile.Once spilled,mercury releases colourless vapours in the room temperature which is very dangerous if inhaled by anyone.
Many of us are unaware of the fact that mercury is a SILENT KILLER.....YES IT IS...
Some of the facts are:
Mercury exposure at high levels can harm the vital organs like brain,liver,kidneys,heart and the immunity system of people.The damage to health depends on the form of mercury.
Elemental mercury (that is used in thermometers) is not harmful if it is swallowed or ingested since it is hardly absorbed by the body.
The mercury vapours when inhaled damage the lungs and can cause acute pulmonary toxicity or even death.
Once mercury reaches the veins,it is transported to the posterior side of the brain and causes visual defects and affects the motor skills.
Symptoms include tremors,shyness and neurological changes.
In pregnant women,it directs affects the foetal development.
Mercury converted into organic form of methyl mercury is the most harmful,as 90% of it is absorbed by the body.
Sweden has banned the use of mercury in all medical equipment.
"this blog is free from plagiarism"
THE WEEK (EDITION FEB 26TH,2012,PAGE NO:32,33)