Drug advice for hypertension: Amlodipine tablets
As explained in my previous blog, the drug information is presented in two parts, one for the pharmacist and the other for the patient.
Information for pharmacist:
* Importance of diet, possible need for sodium restriction and weight management.
* Importance of taking medication and keeping physician's appointment even if the patient feels fine.
* Possible need for lifelong therapy as Amlodipin does not cure, but control hypertension.
* The patient may experience repeated headaches for brief periods in the beginning of therapy. This will decrease after a few days, if it increases or does not decrease consult physician.
* Some people may experience swelling of gums and a little bleeding. Gently massaging and cleaning the teeth properly will decrease it.
* Check with physician before discontinuing medication.
* Serious consequences of untreated hypertension.
Information for patient:
- Take breakfast at 7:30 a.m. and this tablet at 8:00 a.m.
- Take regularly at the same time.
- Do not take grapefruit juice in breakfast, when you are taking this medicine.
- Do not stop taking medicine without consulting with your physician.
- Do not combine this medicine with any other. Give at least one hour gap between this tablet and any other medicine.
- Consult doctor before taking any other medicine like OTC products for common cold, cough etc along with this medicine.
"This blog does not contain any plagiarized material"
1) Advice for the patient: Drug information in lay language; USP DI; 1995,15th edition; pg: 212-213