Guess the PharmaLEGEND-1
Happy Ugadi to all and Today is the inauguration of BLOGGING BEE's new era i.e. "PharmaLEGENDS" and I like to make it something interesting/ interactive under the heading "Guess the PharmaLEGEND!".
Under this heading I will provide the details of one PhamaLEGEND every time and give a chance to all the participants to guess his/ her name who contributed for the profession of Pharmacy and which we all are enjoying the essence of their struggles. Remembering them is like honoring them. Such that we will be inspired and lead our path actively...
Let us start the Guessing Game!
Guess the PharmaLEGEND-1:
He is really a legend for our Pharmacy profession. He was born in Punjab in 1882 two days after the date of our Independence Day.
Jammu is the place where he did his primary and college education. In the early 20th century he went to England where he joined in Downing College at Cambridge and worked with the famous pharmacologist Dr. W.E. Dixon.
Initially he worked in medical service later he joined as founder Professor for Pharmacology in Calcutta School of Tropical Medicine for which he also became Director. His ambition was observed as bringing modern pharmacology from the traditional materia medica. He is highly attributed for his Experimental Pharmacology. He could be remembered as the First person in establishing a research centre for pharmacological work.
For Indian Pharmacology he was dealt as Father. In India, his contributions over native drugs of India like Sarpagandha, Guduchi, Roxb, Kurchi, Neem etc. are highly acknowledgeable. His contributions resulted in their inclusion in Indian Pharmacopoeial List and first Indian Pharmacopoeia.
He is the person behind the Contributions:
- Drugs Act;
- Indian Pharmacopoeial List;
- Bengal Pharmaceutical Association;
- His archives are even today available in RRL, Regional Research Laboratory, Jammu-Tawi etc.
- Director, Calcutta School of Tropical Medicine;
- Director, Medical Services and Research;
- Director, Drug Research Laboratory;
- Vice-President, Asiatic Society of Bengal;
- Member, American Society for Pharmacology & Experimental Therapeutics;
- Member, Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain;
- Member, Belgian Society of Tropical Medicine;
- President, Indian Science Congress;
- Chairman, Committee Indian Pharmacopoeial List;
- Sectional President, Physiology and Medical Sciences of the Congress;
- President, Indian National Science Academy etc.
He left us in 1973 at Srinagar, Jammu.
On overall he is the visionary clinical pharmacologist, toxicologist to be remembered by every pharmacist.
Readers, Now the turn is yours to guess this PharmaLEGEND with the hints provided. And also to be a winner of this episode you need to post the books names he written and the committee name (not given in hints) for which he is a chairman.
As this is the inauguration of our event, the winner of this episode will be provided a cute gift. So grab the opportunity.
NOTE: It is an appeal to the organizers/ readers that references for the hints provided will be posted once the correct guessing of PharmaLEGEND completes. So please consider the episode.
"This blog-post does not contain plagiarized material"
Mrs. Roja Rani