I am here to discuss one of the biggest worry for the women's.....its a common problem for every women.....complication of Obesity which is having link with menstrual irregularities is a good topic to discuss.......
Let us start with menstruation
1-4Menstruation is important for all women as it helps her to conceive a child. Women, who are obese or fat, may find that their menstrual cycle is disrupted. Increased amount of fat in the body increases the level of estrogen, tricking the ovaries by thinking that the body is pregnant which stops menstruation.
What are the major factors contributing menstrual irregularities?
- Eating disorder
- Hormone imbalance.
- Medication side effects
- Poor nutrition
Diseases due to obesity (related to menstrual irregularities) are
- Excessive hunger
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome:
Symptoms of PCOS
Causes of PCOS
Mainly the causes are unknown but
* insulin resistances are strongly associated with it
It is a menstrual cycle disorder, in which the women can't release the egg for fertilization. People with this problem may ovulate intermittently throughout the year, or they may not ovulate at all.
Symptoms of anovulation
* irregular periods
* abnormal rise in basal body temperature
Causes of anovulation
* hormonal imbalances within the body
- weight gain or loss
- too much exercise
- extreme stress
Menstrual disruption may lead to emotional disruption like depression.
Symptoms of depression
* Disturbed life style
* Loss of interest in daily activities
* Lack of concentration
* Loss of energy, etc
Causes of depression
* Menstrual irregularities is one of the major cause of depression in women
* Premenstrual troubles
* Pregnancy and infertility
* Baby blues (postpartum depression)
* Perimenopause, etc
Excessive hunger is of the result arising due to obese condition.
Symptoms & Causes of excessive hunger
Inappropriate eating or overeating (appetite change) - excessive hunger itself a symptom of problems like obesity
Menstrual regularities is one of the major symptom in undiagnosed thyroid problems
Symptoms & Causes
* Weight gain despite diminished appetite
* Galactorrhea (milky discharge from the breasts)
* Autoimmune conditions which may lead to hypothyroidism
* Over treatment for hyper thyriodism
Rapid weight gain, increased subsequent risk for obesity may have profound effects on the tempo of menstrual irregularities
Healthy weight loss can help to maintain your menstrual cycle
This blog does not contain any plagiarized material
1. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Clinical guidelines on the identification, evaluation and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults. Available at http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines (accessed 01 June 2010)
2. Gumbiner B (editor).Obesity 3rd edition. American College of Physicians, Philadelphia, U.S.A.; 2001(accessed 01 June 2010)
3. Fairburn CG, Brownell KD. Eating disorders and obesity:a comprehensive handbook. 2nd edition. Psychology Press, London, UK; 2002. (accessed 04 June 2010)
4. http://helpguide.org/mental/depression_signs_types_diagnosis_treatment.htm (accessed 10 May 2010)
5. http://helpguide.org/mental/depression_women.htm (accessed 10 June 2010)
6. http://www.helium.com/items/78908-excessive-hunger-causes-and-risk-factors (accessed on 14 June 2010)